Disabled Students’ Allowances: are you eligible?

If you have a disability that affects your ability to study a university level course at The Sheffield College, you could be eligible for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) to help overcome cost barriers to your education.

These disabilities could be things like a:

  • learning difficulty, for example dyslexia, dyspraxia or ADHD
  • mental health condition like anxiety or depression
  • physical disability, for example if you’re partially sighted or have to use crutches
  • long-term health condition such as cancer, chronic heart disease or HIV

DSAs are awarded subject to eligibility and in addition to other student finance. You do not have to repay DSAs as you do with your student loan, and how much you receive depends on your individual (not household) needs.

You will be able to use DSAs to help cover costs such as:

  • specialist equipment, for example an adapted computer or specialist software
  • non-medical helpers
  • extra travel because of your disability
  • other disability-related costs of studying

Money is paid either into your bank account or directly to the organisation providing the service or equipment.

In addition to your disability you must also:

  • be an undergraduate or postgraduate student (including Open University or distance learning)
  • qualify for student finance from Student Finance England
  • be studying on a course that lasts at least a year

If you think you are eligible it is recommended that you submit an application as soon as possible to ensure financial support is in place.

For more information, please contact us by calling 0114 260 2600.